About this recipe
Are Italians experts at meatloaf? Heck, no! But we make one every five years to keep up conversation with our Canadian neighbours.
In a bowl, mix together:
- 2 lb. lean ground beef,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 2 cloves garlic (minced),
- ½ cooking onion (finely diced),
- ½ cup zucchini or celery (diced),
- ½ cup carrots (diced and nuked for 5 minutes),
- ½ cup Basic Sauce (maybe leave a little chunky when blending),
- ½ cup bread crumbs (large size like Panko),
- 2-3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese,
- 2-3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley,
- ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper.
Squash everything together and form into a meatloaf. If too soft, add more bread crumbs.
Cover with foil and bake (on a rack) at 350°F for 1 hour. Then uncover, spoon 1 cup Basic Sauce over top and bake another 20-30 minutes (until 170°F).
Let rest 10 minutes before slicing, or it’ll crumble.
- You can freeze them.
- You could substitute ground pork for ½ lb. of the beef.
- You could also add ¼ lb. diced capicollo ham along with all the other stuff.
If doubling or tripling, make multiple loaves and leave longer to bake when covered with foil (say, 90 minutes). In this case, leave foil on the bums when baking with the sauce so they don’t burn.