About this recipe
This recipe comes from my cousin Adele. She made it for me one night. It’s a jazzed-up version of the Italian staple “spaghetti with butter and cheese,” and it rocks!
Place a large frying pan on the stove; turn heat to just under medium and fry:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil,
- 1 lb. Italian sausages (cut into 1-inch pieces).
Once browned, add:
- 1 cooking onion (diced large),
- 1 red bell pepper (diced large or sliced into strips),
- salt and pepper to season.
Boil 1 lb. fusilli pasta. When ready, drain and put back into the same pot you cooked it in. Add butter and Parmesan cheese to your hot pasta and cover until everything melts. Then add your fried vegetables and sausages using a slotted spoon (since the peppers may give off water) and mix.
- I prefer mild sausages with this dish (because of the butter) and save my hot ones for its cousin, Pasta Ultimo (because of the oil).
Sausages are by far my favourite vegetable. The trick is to find good ones, and unfortunately regular grocery stores don't carry them. When you do find a source, buy lots. They usually stay in the fridge for 5-6 weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months.