Cream Sauce with Vegetables (Primavera)
About this recipe
Everyone knows that vegetables are good for you, but did you know they go well with pasta?
Place a large saucepan on the stove; turn heat to just under medium and fry:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil,
- ½ cooking onion (diced),
- 2 cloves garlic (minced),
- ½ tbsp. basil, ½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. black pepper.
When the onion looks good, add:
- 1 cup asparagus (bottoms snapped off and cut into 1-inch pieces),
- 1 cup green beans (ends snapped off and cut into 1-inch pieces),
- 1 cup broccoli florets,
- 1 cup zucchini (sliced in half moons),
- ½ cup white wine.
Sauté until liquid has almost evaporated (5-10 minutes), and then add:
- ½ cup chicken broth from a bouillon cube, or from the Chicken Soup recipe.
Sauté again until liquid has almost evaporated (another 5-10 minutes), then turn heat to low and add:
- 1½ cups table (17%) or whipping (33%) cream.
Let cream thicken and warm a few minutes, and then add:
- 1 lb. cooked pasta (fusilli, penne, something like that).
Toss pasta with cream sauce while keeping burner on low. Then add lots of shaved Parmesan cheese and serve immediately. This dish must be eaten hot.
- Add 1 cup diced ham if you like.
- Maybe a dab of butter with the hot pasta.
- You can add more black pepper at the table.
- Table cream is also known as cereal cream, coffee cream, or heavy cream.
Many vegetables can be added along with, or instead of, those mentioned above (e.g., fresh peas, caulifower pieces, or thin slices of carrot).