Cream Sauce with Vegetables (Primavera)
About this recipe
Everyone knows that vegetables are good for you, but did you know they go well with pasta?
Place a large saucepot on the stove; turn heat to just under medium and fry:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil,
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced),
- ½ cooking onion (diced),
- 1 cup cooked ham (diced),
- ½ tbsp. basil, ½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. chili pepper.
When the onion looks good, add:
- 1 lb. asparagus (snap off bottoms and cut into 1-inch pieces),
- 1 cup broccoli florets,
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas,
- ½ cup white wine.
Cook covered for 5-10 minutes, and then add:
- ½ cup chicken broth from a bouillon cube, or from the Chicken Soup recipe.
Cook covered another 5-10 minutes, then turn heat to low and add:
- 1½ cups table cream (17% MF).
Let cream warm for a few minutes, and then add:
Toss pasta with cream sauce for a few minutes while keeping burner on low. Then add lots of Parmesan cheese and serve immediately. This dish must be eaten hot.
- Table cream is also known as cereal cream, coffee cream, or heavy cream.
Many vegetables can be added along with, or instead of, those mentioned above (e.g., fresh green beans, caulifower pieces, or thin slices of carrot).