About this recipe
Cannellini is just a fancy name for white kidney beans. Great Northern beans are similar (so they can be used instead). Rehydrate and cook 1 cup dried beans (yielding 2 cups) or drain and rinse a 19 oz. can.
Into a bowl, put:
- 1 (19 oz.) can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed).
- 1 average-sized can of tuna (drained and broken up with your hands),
- 1 cup celery (diced),
- ½ cup white or purple onion (thinly sliced),
- 1-2 cups fusilli pasta (first cooked in salted water).
- olive oil to coat,
- ½ tsp. salt and (very important) ¾-1 tsp. black pepper.
Toss, add red wine or balsamic vinegar to taste, and then toss again. Cover in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- This salad keeps well, so you can make it the night before.
- Canned chickpeas can be used (but then you have to change the name of the recipe).
Don’t make this with salmon (it sucks). I thought it’d be a good idea but it wasn’t, kind of like the time I tried on ladies’ underwear.