The Garden Chick
About this recipe
Both easy and nutritious, this is the mother of all bean salads. Use whatever vegetables you have, and don’t be shy to experiment (e.g., mix in red kidney or Ray Romano beans). No matter how it turns out, it’s still better than McDonald’s.
Into a bowl, throw together:
- 1 (19 oz.) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed),
- ½ cup white or purple onion (sliced thin),
- ½ cup carrots (diced or sliced),
- 1 cup broccoli florets (or pieces),
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (or pieces).
- olive oil to coat (approx. 4 tbsp.),
- ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. black pepper, and maybe some fresh basil leaves.
Toss and add:
- red wine vinegar to taste (approx. 2 tbsp.).
Toss again, taste, add more vinegar if needed. Keep tossing and tasting until you got it right. Cover in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- This recipe keeps well, so you can make it the night before.
You can add more carrot, broccoli, and cauliflower, but leave the onion alone.