Stuffed Zucchini (Vegetarian)
About this recipe
I found this recipe in a book and modified it to our way of thinking. It makes a wonderful side dish for Veal Parmesan.
Wash well and cut both ends off:
- 8 medium or 12 small zucchinis.
Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out most of the pulp with a teaspoon and put into a bowl (you’ll use it later for the stuffing). Place zucchini on an oiled cookie sheet.
Then chop half the pulp (discard the rest) and put into a bowl.
In a medium-sized pot, fry:
- 3 tbsp. olive oil,
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced),
- 1 medium cooking onion (finely diced).
When the onion looks good, add:
- the chopped zucchini pulp,
- 1 tbsp. basil,
- 2-3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley,
- ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper.
Let the zucchini cook a few minutes, and then add:
- 1-1½ cups cooked rice (cook ½ cup dry in advance).
Stir in rice and cook a few more minutes. Then remove pot from burner and stir in:
- 2 large eggs (beaten),
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese,
- ¼ cup coarse bread crumbs.
Yeah, you’ve made the stuffing. Now, lightly salt your zucchini shells and load them with stuffing. Sprinkle more bread crumbs over top and spray with Pam. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes at 375°F.
- You don’t have to use all the rice (just what looks right).
- The rice should be washed, boiled like pasta, and then rinsed again to remove excess starch (or you can use parboiled rice).
These guys are good served with Basic Sauce over top. You’ll probably have some left over if making Veal Parmesan. Maybe serve zucchinis with a dish of sauce on the side so people can try them both ways.