About this recipe
This soft cheese sauce is something you’ll remember for the rest of your life. P.S. Make the sauce while the pasta is boiling.
Place a large frying pan on the stove; turn heat to just under medium and fry:
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil,
- 1 cooking onion (diced).
When the onion looks good (cooked yet crunchy), add:
- ½ cup (125g) diced pancetta or prosciutto,
- 2 cloves garlic (minced).
Saute for a minute, then add:
- 1 cup mini (pearl) bocconcini cheese,
- 1 cup Swiss gruyere cheese (grated),
- sprinkle of salt (to bring out the flavour of the cheese),
- ½-1 tsp. black or red chili pepper (to taste).
Let the cheese melt a few minutes, then add:
- ½-1 cup table cream,
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes.
Lightly simmer until the sauce looks smooth (3-4 minutes). Toss with 1 lb. cooked pasta (linguini or bow ties) along with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with a little more pepper.
- If you can only get large bocconcini, cut them up small so they'll melt.
Pancetta and prosciutto are both quite salty, so you needn’t add more. You can also use capocollo or chopped bacon.